Thursday, January 14, 2010

International Flight: My Favorite!


It's been about a month and a half since I posted here....

Well, now that I'm in Paris again I have time to do whatever I want. Sort of. I spent 24 hours in transit. I remember being excited about flying and enjoying it but things have changed a bit. I don't mind it really but going away from where I wanted to be made it kind of a drag. However it's totally awesome to start flights at MCI. You don't have to get there very early and security takes about a minute. So my flight from Kansas City to Chicago was nice and I slept most of it. For my three hour layover in O'Hare I pretty much snoozed in limb numbing positions and read I, Robot (why doesn't blogspot have an underline button? You underline books, right? I can't believe I'm uncertain about these things). We started boarding early which I thought was good but since I'd changed this flight only two weeks earlier I knew I'd be sitting in the back(the same thing happened with my flight home but Air Canada could also be named Air Awesome so it was no problem). As soon as I got down to my seat I knew there were going to be problems. The flight had been over booked. There was no room for carryons in the over head compartments so it had to be put in business and first class. My seat wasn't directly behind a seat but rather behind half of two seats so there was no place to put my backpack underneath the seat in front of me. One young married couple and their baby ended up without a third seat and separated. I think their marraige partially dissolved from the strain.

The flight was really pretty normal except that it was over an hour late because people just weren't sitting down. They were running around looking for places to sit and put their stuff and then forgetting things and running back to their bags and it was just pretty chaotic. About half way through I got sick and passed out. After some water and ginger ale I sat back in my seat and watched Slumdog Millionaire. I love that movie. The first time I watched it, when it got to the end and everyone started dancing I remember thinking "this movie just got a hundred times cooler."

So anyway, I missed my connection from Munich to Paris and ended up getting a flight that left at 2:45 rather than 10:30 so I waited there for about four hours sleeping in limb numbing positions on the chairs in my gate. Then we were oddly shipped out of the gate by bus and driven all around the terminals until we got to this huge parking lot with lots of tiny planes. So we got on and I promptly fell asleep and slept until we got to Paris, where the ground was covered in snow(the ground was covered in snow at every airport). After walking like a zombie to my lugage I got a taxi home. No one was home when I got there since the cleaning lady had been recruited for some fill-in babysitting. But about five minutes later they showed up and I drifted about the house like a ghost until the kids dad got back. He told me that he and their mom would not be staying at the house together anymore. So though one parent will always be home I guess both won't be for the time being....not sure what to think about that. I definitly didn't know what to say.

Jetlag is the wierdest thing ever. I slept a normal night after getting back and then last night i didn't get to sleep until about four and then I woke up at noon. There went my day.

So this weekend I'll get caught up with everyone and everything will be back on track. I'm determined to make this stay in Paris fruitful.

3 comments:

  1. I miss you dearest sister!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. WEEEELL! I see that there is one picture of you, and no picture of me. I disapprove.
    Books are italicized, not underlined. I should know, I've written about a hundred.
    I guess I miss you too. Did you really pass out? Thats totally awesome!
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're safely there! Get ready for a letter comin your way.

    ReplyDelete