Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Paris Routine

Statue in Tuileries

I suppose the reason I've gone a long time without writing is because...I'm lazy. It isn't really that not much has been going on. There has been some going on, I started school. If I don't have some interesting anecdote I kind of run low on energy to blog. A general synopsis never came that easily to me. That being said I've been particularly verbose when it comes to hand written letters. I whip out pages of rambling letters that I mail off in thick envelopes. I guess I have more confidence saying nothing with a lot of words when I'm only sharing it with one person.

I haven't been going out and exploring or sightseeing too much recently. Somehow I replaced very good Paris Adventure time with general moping. My main problem is that I persuade myself that I shouldn't go out and do things when I have SO many things to do.

'What things?' you might ask, 'would you have to do, being displaced from your monstrous load of possessions and little circle of friends and most of your earthly purpose and responsibility?' Well, I'm one of those people whose cursed with messy habits but the need to have everything clean before I start anything. I'm one of those people who has nine hundred 'projects' because I really love starting books, letters, sewing garments, journal entries and knitting scarves. I'm one of those people who feels life is empty without finishing those projects and checking them off a list. I'm also one of those people who says 'I'm going to sew five dresses, finish two books and write seven emails today. But first let me drink a cup of tea and watch an episode of Pushing Daisies because I have so much time today.' Yep, story of my life. So after wasting lots of time I devote a few minutes to mentally flogging myself for my laziness. Then I start over and do it again.

Thats why I need much less time to waste. Thats why I have plans to start volunteering here. So we'll see how that goes.

But it is a little odd to have a real routine and sort of everyday-ness to being here. It's kind of cool. And it's also literally cool, finally. There was a really long time there were it would be pleasantly nippy in the morning and then turn into one of those days where you're wearing boots, leggings and a sweater and everyone else is dressed for the beach. When I picked up the kids today after three cool days I know it's starting to get really cool.

School is good but we focus on grammar far too much. We really need to just talk. It's hard though because most of us know English and some of the girls can't hardly speak any French. French with a Portugese accent is killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment