Saturday, August 22, 2009

My First Day in Paris

It's currently 8:30 PM Kansas City time. Thats 3:30 AM here.

So this is just a quick little overview of my first day.

My flights weren't bad. They weren't bad as flights go but I can't really sleep on planes. When I said goodbye to Mom and Dad in Kansas City I worked pretty hard to not get too emotional. I had a total meltdown for Thailand that lasted well into my flight to Atlanta so I stifled that a little. I sat in Economy Plus which really is much better. When I got to Dulles in Washington DC I wandered around for quite awhile finally eating Wendys in a fairly empty gate. I don't like to be the only one eating in a crowded area. Once I got into all the gates starting with C I felt like I was in a foreign country. There was far more French than English and everyone was crowded close together.

I sat next to some lovely people on my way to Paris who were very encouraging and fun. Once we arrived all I had to do was pick up my bags and walk out. No customs, no immigration. It took me a little time to find my family but they were there all friendly and smiling, carefully speaking English. We got in the car and immediately began breaking every driving law. As soon as we got back into the city I could see the Eiffel Tower. We drove down the Champs Elysees, around l'Arc de Triomphe, by the Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre, the parliament building, and then went and drove by the Eiffel Tower from the base of which we could see Notre Dame. It was all surprisingly close.

When we got in I was shown all around the beautiful home and then we sat down to have tea. After unpacking and showering I went with A to go to the post office. We walked all around Neuilly stopping to see the library, the bucherie, the metro station and the bookstore. After lunch I took a nap and we went to walk down the champs elysees.

By 8:00 I was completely exhausted and went to bed. But now I'm having a little break from sleeping....

3 comments:

  1. oh angela. it sounds lovely already! just reading about all the places that you saw on your first day...oh, I want to be in paris too! hope that you blog often. :) -sara a.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dearest! I can tell your blog is going to be one of my favorite things to read this year. I hope you update all the time. Can you email me your Paris address?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How enjoyable! I'm following you so I'll be extra looking forward to opening my google reader each day in anticipation of this.

    I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete